Thursday, July 12, 2012

Figs Aren't Just for Newtons?

They sure aren't. They make tasty additions to smoothies, yummy jams, and great snacks when that sweet tooth starts itchin. 



We're celebrating 5 years in our house this year. I did not know until two years ago, that I had a fig tree  blessing my front yard. What a loss.  Now that I know, I'm not wasting them.


I finally got myself a ladder.  My son gets so excited to go out and climb on Mommy's ladder to pull down the sweet figs. This is some serious Mommy and Mighty time out in all this heat! Figs love the summer heat.  We should be picking every day to get the most out of the tree but it is way too hot for all of that.



This is one happy bowl.  As I'm typing this, my son is trying to sneak the yummy tree candy away. As long as he washes them first, I don't mind the filching.




Sweet and gooey, is the inside of this wonder-fruit. Our friend at La Original Michoacana in the Bishop Arts District concocted a tantalizing fig sorbet from a batch of these.  I have never had so much ice cream in my house at one time. He gave us an entire ice cream shop sized carton of sorbet. Yeah, you know the one that the ice cream shop employees dip out of to give you one scoop. That size! It is so good though, we're not even going to complain about the girth.  It's not taking up that much space in our deep freezer.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for figs! Glad to see them being used by people under the age of 50, lol

    ReplyDelete