Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Black Women Deal Differently

So I've been thinking about this gymnastics case recently. That was some really sad goings on. But ... here's what I was thinking about: 

Gabby Douglas and Simone Biles. Two young Black women in an elite class of their sport. Neither one of them chose to present an impact statement in court (correct me if I'm wrong). Simone Biles said that she was busy (among other things said) and she didn't want to be taken back to that place. I totally respect that. Hearing her say that made me think about the idea that Black women tend to "move on." We find ourselves in tough situations and we accept that it has happened and we move on to the next goal that we HAVE TO accomplish. To some that seems like we're always "tough" or like we don't deal with our emotions. But ... in reality, it's a safety mechanism that Black women have had to perfect for centuries. Think about that. Our children are stolen from us, and we have to get up in the morning to care for someone else's children (with loving hands and hearts). Our husbands are taken from us, and we have to get up in the morning and clean someone's home (with care to protect their linens). This is not new to Black women - this idea of moving on. 
So ... as I'm scrolling thru the internets today, I heard something that Will Smith said (it kind of surprised me). "Responsibility and fault do not go together." These girls and women that suffered at the hands of this terrible person are not at fault for what happened to them. They are, however, responsible for their own success. They have to figure out what they need to do to survive and thrive in this life. 
I'm glad that women are speaking up. I also respect the women that made the choice to be training in the gym while some others chose to make impact statements. The responsibility for their lives is their own. They don't owe that monster one thing.


In case you missed it, here is a link  about the gymnastics case.   

No comments:

Post a Comment